Use the free draw.io add-on for Google Docs to embed your diagrams into your documents. When you make changes to your diagram, you need to update them inside your document to see the changes.
Install the draw.io Google Docs add-on
- Open a Google document, or create a new document. Click Add-ons > Get Add-ons.
- Search for diagrams and click on draw.io Diagrams for Docs.
- Grant diagrams.net permission to access your Google Documents and the files you have stored on Google Drive.
- Start using the add-on via the Add-ons > draw.io Diagrams for Docs submenu.
Note: Your diagram data is only ever stored in your browser and on your Google Drive account.
Embed a diagram in a Google doc
- Click Add-ons > draw.io Diagrams for Docs > New Diagram to create a new diagram and save it to your Google Drive. You may need to grant additional permissions to diagrams.net to use your Google Drive account.
- To embed an existing diagram click Add-ons > draw.io Diagrams for Docs > Insert Diagrams. Select multiple diagrams by holding down Shift when you click on each diagram file.
- Select your diagram file(s) then click Select.
- If your diagrams has multiple pages, select which page you want to display, then click Insert.
Update embedded diagrams to see changes
Your diagrams are displayed as images inside your Google Document. When you edit the diagram file stored in your Google Drive, you’ll need to regenerate the images to see those changes reflected in your document.
- Select the diagram in your Google Document.
- Click Add-ons > draw.io Diagrams for Docs > Update Selected.
If you want to update all of the diagrams, click Add-ons > draw.io Diagrams for Docs > Update All.