This plugin should be used as-is, as an unsupported example for developers.
The tags plugin allows you to display and hide elements of your diagram based on metadata, or tags. This can be useful for exploring complex diagrams, for example to indicate which code segments run on which system, or which department is responsible for which steps in a flow chart.
Load the tags plugin
- To create a new diagram with the plugin already loaded, go to https://app.diagrams.net/?splash=0&p=tags
Using tags on shapes in a diagram
Tags are a space-separated list of words stored in the tags property of a shape’s properties, or metadata. Select a shape, then click Edit > Edit Data to see a shape’s properties (or right-click and select Edit Data or press Ctrl+M).
See what tags have been applied
When you hover over a shape, the tag will appear as a tooltip.
Alternatively, you can look at shape’s properties. Select a shape, then press Ctrl+M.
Show and hide shapes based on their tags
If you know the names of the tags, you can use the Tags dialog to hide shapes based on their tags or show hidden shapes.
- Click Extras > Tags.
- Type the name of the tag, and click Hide or Show.
Add a tag to a shapes
There are a number of ways to add tags to shapes. You can add the tags property to the shape metadata manually, but it may be easier to use the Hidden Tags dialog.
- Click Extras > Hidden Tags. Select a shape or multiple shapes.
- If you want to apply an existing tag, click on the existing tag name.
- To add a new tag, type its name into the text field, and press Enter.
Remove a tag from a shape
You can edit the shape’s data and delete the tag name from the tags property manually, or you can use the Hidden Tags dialog to remove it.
- Click Extras > Hidden Tags.
- Select a shape or multiple shapes, and click on one of the blue tag names in the dialog. This removes the tag from the shape. For example, to remove the manage tag from the orange shapes, first select them, click on manage in the dialog.
Permanently load the tags plugin
If you want to use tags in your diagrams regularly, add the tags plugin to the plugins list to load it each time you create or edit a diagram.
- From the menu, select Extras > Plugins.
- Click Add.
- Select tags in the drop-down list of built-in plugins, then click OK.
- Click Apply.
Note: Plugins are not supported in draw.io for Confluence.